• Welcome to our the new and improved forums systems. For tech support (only during May 2020), please email forums-2016@lymphoma.com. Also, please note that no new memberships are being processed for 6 days (5/26/20) as we continue to make upgrades to our systems. Existing members may continue to use all systems freely!

I’m Seven!

Voyager

Yesterday was the 7th anniversary of my allo stem cell transplant. Despite a few bumps along the road, as dear ol’ Dad used to say, I’m alive and kicking! Since then, I’ve gotten to spend time with our five grandchildren, hike at Machu Picchu, and enjoy my unplanned early retirement. For now we’re hunkering down, and not taking chances with my immunocompromised condition. Stay safe!

Voyager

Thanks everyone! I had an unrelated unknown allo match found through the Be the Match Foundation. I reached out and thanked the person at the time, but he chose to remain anonymous.

andym

Super Moderator
You're so old!! I'm only 5 years, 9 and a half months. You definitely had some bumps to get over but woo-hoo on facing all those challenges and living so well.

We're hunkered down more than most for the same reason. In the last 5 weeks we've done exactly two errands. Both were to the farm stand in our neighborhood right when it opened. Everything else is by delivery from the grocery store. I think transplant prepared us for this time.

Here's to staying safe and continuing to enjoy the benefits of getting older.

Voyager

Thanks for all the added support! Andy, I’m younger than my 9 year-old grandson. Plus, my daughter just announced there’s another grandchild on the way (sshhh!).

On another more serious note, are there any statistics out there on COVID-19 outcomes for people who have had BMTs? I know the recommendation is isolation, but I’d like to know if there are any recovered BMT recipients who contracted COVID-19. At least one benefit of staying home is that since March I haven’t caught any colds or coughs!

po18guy

I was advised last week by my hematologist at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (Fred Hutch) that they had zero transplant patients who had become infected. Anecdotal, but we tend to socially distance and take precautions as the new routine.

andym

Super Moderator
I think the problem is that recovered BMT patients covers a really wide range of people from people still on immune suppression for GVHD to people who are basically normal. I haven't seen any stats. My most recent IgG last month was in the normal range and so I think my transplant doctor thinks I am close to being a normal patient. I have trouble seeing myself that way and will not act as such. As po18guy points out, the current transplant patients are being really careful, just as we were during transplant. And those of us more years down the line are probably way better at being careful than most people. So there may not be that many infections to look at.

It is great if Hutch has no COVID-19 positive BMT patients. Stanford has cited a very, very low rate of infection among its staff. So, it is possible to keep people safe.

po18guy

The bad news in what I heard was that there was no reason for me to be tested for antibodies, as my immune system may not be able to generate the antibodies. Ugh.

andym

Super Moderator
Have you gone through your immunizations? If so, you could get a test for MMR antibodies or shingles antibodies and see if you developed antibodies in response to the vaccines. I developed antibodies in response to 2 of the 3 in MMR. So it can be a partial thing. My IgG has gone up recently and so I have hope of better responses in the future.
In a recent LRF talk they did say that fewer cancer patients with COVID-19 had developed antibodies. But I think the implication was that these were people who had recovered even without developing antibodies.