• Welcome to our the new and improved forums systems. For tech support (only during May 2020), please email forums-2016@lymphoma.com. Also, please note that no new memberships are being processed for 6 days (5/26/20) as we continue to make upgrades to our systems. Existing members may continue to use all systems freely!

Follow-up doctor appointments

Step2

I see my oncologist quarterly, and my regular appointment is coming up. I received a call from my doctor's office that I would have my blood drawn at a local Quest lab and then have a phone appointment with my doctor the next day. However, the office did not mention what apparently is referred to as a teladoc appointment; just a regular phone call. Does that sound right?

andym

Super Moderator
It might depend on what they’ve got set up. People are adapting fast. I did a video appt last week. While it was great to see her and she made a couple of comments about how I looked, a phone call would have worked too.

I’m far enough out that we skipped the blood work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Step2

Thanks, Andy. I'll see how it goes. (And sometimes I feel as if I should be far enough out that I could skip the blood work as well. For whatever reason, my doctor hasn't done a scan since a month or so after my final chemo treatment.)

I realized that I've graduated from quarterly appointments to once every 4 months. When I looked up what that's called, one of the definitions stated "terminal." Let's hope not. "Tri-annual" sounds a lot better.

tbear

My last one was a phone call April 6th after I drove to a satellite center for blood draw on the 31st March, the next is in October. It's 22 miles to their satellite center at Fishersville and just over 60 to the ECCC at UVA, but they did it to limit my exposure I was told. The trip via courier from Fishersville to UVA mlooks to have messed up my LDH test, but all the other tests were fine.

Step2

I got a call this morning to cancel the phone appointment for this week; it's been moved to late May and will be a regular in-person appointment. It would be great to think that the coronavirus will be contained enough in Los Angeles County for this to happen, but we can only hope and wait. In the meantime, I already went for the lab work; hope they can use that.

andym

Super Moderator
My original appointment was in March and they did the same thing: delay a month and see how things were going. I was expecting a second delay but by then they had gotten comfortable with the video appointments.

Voyager

Those bone marrow extractions should hurt a lot less when done at the new telemedicine appointments! I’m also less leery of my upcoming urologist visit!

andym

Super Moderator
I don’t know about that. Trying to use a BMB kit on yourself could be a mess. And if my wife is doing it to me then I’m going to be on my best behavior for weeks ahead of time.

tbear

I don’t know about that. Trying to use a BMB kit on yourself could be a mess. And if my wife is doing it to me then I’m going to be on my best behavior for weeks ahead of time.
I think I'd go brave the lab tech.