• Welcome to our the new and improved forums systems. For tech support (only during May 2020), please email forums-2016@lymphoma.com. Also, please note that no new memberships are being processed for 6 days (5/26/20) as we continue to make upgrades to our systems. Existing members may continue to use all systems freely!

Bump

frankhond

A month or two ago I felt a small bump on my calf, in or right under the skin. Figured it was some bugbite and forgot about it. But it’s still here and has grown to a 1-1.5cm in diameter rubbery bump. Went to GP who said it doesn’t quite feel like a lipoma or infection... so off to biopsy.

My lymphoma was very aggressive and this isn’t that fast growing so I’m pretty sure it’s something else. But of course the body remembers and now I’m suddenly shaking while on the bus to the biopsy clinic.

Last edited:

andym

Super Moderator
Sorry that you are going through a scare. I’ll be hoping for good news from the biopsy but completely understand the fear you are having.

Mankyle

It is a weird place for a node. There are between three and give nodes in the popliteal pit but only one (deep) lymphatic vessel under the knee.

That one is located under the gastrocnemius muscles not under the skin...
Nevertheless check with the doctor. FYI my oncologist has only had ONE patient with lymphoma in the leg in the last 26 years and his unit diagnoses between 50 to 65 patients per year...

frankhond

It is a weird place for a node. There are between three and give nodes in the popliteal pit but only one (deep) lymphatic vessel under the knee.

That one is located under the gastrocnemius muscles not under the skin...
Nevertheless check with the doctor. FYI my oncologist has only had ONE patient with lymphoma in the leg in the last 26 years and his unit diagnoses between 50 to 65 patients per year...
Yeah it should not be a node as all anatomy books show that there is no node there... it’s something in the tissue in the lower levels of the skin or just below. Fingers crossed that it’s some kind of cyst.

zac495

What stinks is something unremarkable can make us so nervous and it's normal. Thinking of you and with good thoughts that it's unremarkable.
HUGS
Ellen

femjaguar8

that shouldnt be a node on that part of the body, hope everything turns out ok! and i have a feeling that its definitely unremarkable, thinking about you frankhond!

frankhond

Thank you everyone for the kind words and thoughts.

It wasn’t the news I wanted, they found lymphoma. It’s either a relapse or some new manifestation. The biopsy report simply says Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, probably relapse.

I’m in shock and can barely produce coherent sentences to type this. Waiting for contact from the hematologists.

femjaguar8

What a bummer! So sorry to hear that, but good thing is we have lots of treatment options with this disease , take care frankhond! Keep us posted :(

andym

Super Moderator
Really sorry that is the result. Relapse is really hard. We always had to take a bit to grieve the news and accept it emotionally before starting to deal with next steps.

But there are good treatments and we’ve had so many successes from them. Let us know what your doctors are suggesting.

You can do this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FB43

I am sorry the hear the news as well. However, we don’t have the full work up yet. I am sure your hematologist/ oncologist will review the pathology with the team and go from there.
Like Andy said there are many treatment options.

Sending you positive thoughts. Stay strong.

FB

chuck15

Sorry to hear that, but I looked at the NCCN guidelines, looks like there are several therapies they can give you at this time. Good luck and keep us updated. This stuff is going to dog us forever, the good thing there are still several/multiple options for you. Take care.

barbierunr

Maaaaannn! Sometimes I wish I’d stop reading these forums to see how my friends are doing. This is a prime example. I am sure once the shock wears off, you will dust off that armor and will become the warrior you need to be. We are here.

Sue B

It is the news that none of us want to hear and your reaction is so normal but there are so many treatments available today and that should give you great hope. Just take one day at a time. Once you get the pathology back your hematologist can decide on the best way to treat this and once there is a plan and treatment starts you will start to feel a bit better mentally. Sending positive vibes your way...Sue

frankhond

Friends, thank you for the encouragements.

I had some email contact with my doctor - they are starting up the whole process, and he says to prepare for inpatient treatment once they have everything together. This likely means high dose chemo and/or SCT (they harvested cells last time).

No idea at this time if the relapse is just in that one spot, or a manifestation of something growing elsewhere, guess we will find that out as we go along.

To think that a small spot on the leg can make all the difference between continuing on with a career, family and all that stuff... and this. Apparently this is what's it like to be human.

Sue B

I have been down this path too so I know what you are feeling and it is all normal. This is a bump in the road of life. I have done the high dose chemo and the Auto SCT and it is all doable, if that is the path you are headed down. I guess it is just hard to get your brain around what is happening but you will soon. There are many of us here on the Forum ready to support you and answer any questions you may have.

MikesSis

Adding my thoughts and prayers and best wishes to everyone else's. Absolutely crap news. Give yourself permission to be angry and sad and pissed off. You can be all of that and move forward to.

tbear

Hey Frank,
Sorry to hear about the relapse.

If they harvested stem cells, they were preparing. They harvested good stem cells. They'll use high dose to get you in a good place, then they'll strip your immune system and prep you for the return of stem cells harvested.

Sounds like maybe high dose methotrexate first, maybe cytarabine?

Then an Auto-SCT from the sound or read of it? It's no picnic, but it is very doable. You'll get showers every few hours for a few days as you excrete the thiotepa through skin (I got it for two days, but took showers every 4 hours for 5 days, and in a isolation room), but clean warm blankets in fresh bed makings will feel great.

Then, you'll start rebuilding the day you get them back, day "0". They'll set up a schedule for immunizations too.

I recall the head Onc in stem cell unit giving us a stack of reading material and telling us that once we signed on, it was a go. We were committed. I read some of the tips, but I signed it on faith. Daunting, but I was determined.

One step at a time, don't try to take it all in at first, just the next step. With me, even the long motel stay near the hospital afterwards was part of the plan. You'll get there.

Prayers up.

tbear

HodgePodgeWife

Sometimes we just don't understand it all...

Just popped in to check on you...and am so sorry to read your post here. Those are words we never want to hear but as many previously said and from my unending research here, they have many treatment options to pull from! Anytime in the age of this world, this is a great time for lymphoma treatment! I feel your disappointment though...at times I feel like we're right around the corner from you...but we take a day at a time. Pulling for you friend..soon this will just be another part of your "signature" of things you endured long in your past!

As for us...we're still waiting. Less than a week for our appt. downtown. I took your advice...I saw a counselor yesterday. Not sure she is the one...I heard more about her past than she heard about mine..but it's a start.

Will keep tabs on your sir!