• Welcome to our the new and improved forums systems. For tech support (only during May 2020), please email forums-2016@lymphoma.com. Also, please note that no new memberships are being processed for 6 days (5/26/20) as we continue to make upgrades to our systems. Existing members may continue to use all systems freely!

Barium drink for CT scan

SweetTea2

I've had several CT scans, and noticed that my tummy and intestines feel sooo calm after drinking the Apple flavored Barium. If I can remember I'll ask onc about this. Anyone know why? I almost asked for an extra bottle to bring home!!

Joanna

Michelle7

I can't stomach any of the contrast anymore for my CT's. So now I don't drink it at all. I don't know too many people that like drinking the stuff. I would really like to know why it has that affect on you. GOOD FOR YOU is all I can say because I just can't stomach any of it.

Please let me know what you find out. If you know the brand name you are drinking, please let me know - I will see if I can ask for it next time.

Hugs,
Michelle

Debbiefix

It kills me too Michelle. I mix up my Gastroview with koolaide. Within an hour, the bathroom is my favorite room of the house. That doesn't stop until late that night...about 3 hours after the scan. Yuck.

1speeder

When I have CTs in Princeton, they give me Readi-CAT 2, which tastes like a chalky "wallboard" suspension you'd make in high school chemistry class
, but when I have scans at JHH, it's a Kool-Aid type drink, which is so much better.

Aunt Bea

Ron found out that if your kidney count is too high they will not give you the barium.
They say it is hard on the kidneys and that it really isn't necessary if there they see something Ron would allow the barium. The Dr's only response they told him Oh no problem if you have a problem with your kidnesys they can treat them. Ron told them he didn't want any thing going wrong with the kidneys in the first place so he has not taken the barium for a couple years.
BEA

Debbiefix

I hated the Redi-cat. To me it tasted like milk and grapefruit juice mixed together. I couldn't even get that down without using a straw. The only good thing is you don't have to drink as much of that as you do the gastroview that mixed with the koolaid. That at least tastes like something you can drink...it's just that 1/2 gallon of it, is way too much....

misscandy

We have always had to do the REDICAT. Anytime either of us had a CT that was it. The nurses in St Louis told us to get it really cold and mix something like cheery extract in it to make it more tolerable. Hubby always found that if we got it really cold and he drank it as fast as he could that s the only way he could get it down. We have also been told that after the CT if you have redicat to drink lots of water to flush it out. An aquaintance wasnt told that and it basically hardened in her tummy.

Sandy_T

Joanna,
Are you serious??? I envy you - I dread the stuff - and I swear that I feel like crap ALL DAY when I've had to drink it. Maybe they're using some special formula that they ought to share with the place that does mine.

-Sandy

KatoKiller

Ugh, there's a bottle of "Berry Smoothie" Ready CAT in my fridge right now for my Sept. CT Scan. I hate that stuff. I swear, when I had my PET on Tuesday, it was the biggest glass I've ever had to have. Then I had to have another smaller glass (I feel like they do it differently every time I have a PET).

Then I went and ate Mexican food. Then I had to go home and stay in the bathroom. Then I slept.

It's not as bad as Barium pudding though. Has anyone had that pleasure? It's like eating my grandmother's cold cream.

Winter15

They always give me Berry Smoothie when I get CT scans. I have to drink a large bottle before bed and another one an hour before I get there. Then sometimes they give me a couple more ounces just before the scan. Actually, I don't mind the Berry Smoothie taste very much at all. But when I leave the house I get so worried that when I get to radiology there won't be a bathroom available close by. Just in case, you know.

Bernice

Dan1959

I have never figured out why they still use that Barium chalky stuff in the USA. All my early CT scans used Gastrografin. It is a clear colourless liquid just like water. I mix a mere 18ml with a litre of water and drink it over an hour before my scan. It is entirely tasteless, odourless, and has no texture. It just looks like water but a bit thicker.

Lately we have switched to Telebrix-38 which appears exactly the same. Just 18ml per litre of water. Still tasteless. No texture at all, and easy to drink. The switch was because some people could still detect a taste with the gastrografin, but the Telebrix-38 is better still.

Ask your CT centre about it and see what they say. All in know is I simply enjoy an hour of sipping water reading a magazine before my scans.

Dottie A

I had the chalky stuff the first time. GAG. It was tough to drink down all that stuff. The second time in the Emergency Room they gave me some drink that tasted like Tang that I had to drink A LOT of. It was still better than the chalk. (smile)
I wish it would have been soothing. Good for you. (smile)
Dottie

Debbiefix

Jaye, I don't drink anything before a PET scan, just a lot of water with nothing in it. I get the Injection of radioactive glucose in my vein, but I'm not allowed to eat or drink anything before that test.

softballmom

I had to drink two large bottles of berry smoothie an hour before both CT scans and one large bottle of the same before my PET scan. I wonder why there is so much variation in what you drink and when?

Heidi

JugglerMike

The stuff I have to drink (3 huge glasses) tastes like country-time lemonade that was sitting in the sun too long and had a small rodent crawl into it and drown!!

The worst part is the amount of water I have to drink afterwards to flush the stuff from my system - I have to take pee breaks every 10 minutes!!!

Blessings...

KatoKiller

Mike, that's the best description ever.

My PET's are always PET/CT so I assume that's why I have to have the barium? Anyway, I don't eat starting at midnight and the day before I stick to the Atkin's like diet they give me (I have a tradition of a rib-eye and spinach cooked in butter the night before. It's the only time I can eat that and not feel guilty!)

I had the Tang-like drink once in the emergency room when I had an appendectomy. I couldn't keep it down and I had to drink a glass every 30 minutes for 2 hours. It turned into 4 hours because I was so sick. YUK!

DawnM

When Kurt went to pick up his contrast before his last scan, they said he didn't need to drink it anymore. Let me tell you, he was one happy camper!
He's getting another scan in Sept. so we'll see if he's "still off the hook". Take care every one!

SweetTea2

Just called the hosp. Readi Cat is the name of the barium I drank, apple flavor. I really noticed the difference in my intestinal behavior and tummy upset, after drinking this (2 large bottles). Not a bad taste, and the relief it gave me was my main concern!!

Thanks for all the info and comments.

Have a good July 4th, we are getting ready to go camping on Lake Huron, yeaaaaa!

Joanna